Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Alone in the dark

One of my favorite computer games growing up was one called "Alone in the Dark." It was a murder mystery/clue type game, and it truly had some scenes that were frightening! Looking at how computer animation has changed since then, I have to wonder how I ever got any entertainment (or authentic "scares") out of it.

This morning, I was alone in the dark. The cold front that came though brought very unseasonal cold winds to our area. The power went out one near midnight, but then came back on. It went out again at 4am, about an hour before Sharon gets up for her trek to Kings Mountain to the school she works at. Although I had more sleep time ahead, I couldn't get back to sleep, mainly because I discovered it was 50 degrees in the house! I got up primarily so I could put some clothes on to stay warm. I turned on the radio and literally sat alone in the dark for about an hour before I left to go make an early morning hospital visit.

As I sat there, an overwhelming sense of gratitude engulfed me. How blessed am I to have power, water, & heat! Millions around the globe wake up to darkness, drought, & cold. Instead of complaining about the inconvenience, I instead praised God, because most likely, I'll have power when I get back home later today. Later on this morning, I had another moment of praise when I realized that millions often wake up to spiritual darkness as well. I have hope. They do not. And while, I often focus on doubt in my life, I still for the most part always turn my mind to my faith in God when times are uncertain. There are many who have nothing to turn to - they literally continue to sit . . . ALONE IN THE DARK. Let's be lights for them.

No comments: