Sunday, December 30, 2007

Not a Patriot

Although I'm a Pro Football fan, because of the nature of what I do and when I do it, I can hardly ever manage squeezing in watching a game on Sunday. Naps hold a higher priority, I'm afraid. Last night, because it was Saturday, I was able to watch the New England Patriots achieve their historic 16-0 "perfect" regular season by defeating, in a close game, the New York Giants. This feat hasn't been achieved in over 30 years. It is very admirable. However, even this doesn't fully compare to the great game of "Man vs. Sin", where only once in the history of the world did one man pull off the perfect life. But then, hardly anyone cheered.

If your life were a football season, what would your record be? I think it's safe to say that most of us, including myself, are far from being "Patriots" in that respect. Some of you may feel you have really struggled to keep above water in regards to sin. If that's you, maybe you consider your record to be more like the 1-14 Dolphins (pun not intended, but funny nonetheless). For myself, I feel like I've got a winning record, but I'm nowhere near Superbowl worthy.

One of the great things about God's grace is that we're all champions. If we are His children, He's drafted us onto his team. We're winners! Now, I realize that sounds quite trite and cheesy. I'm not the first to make this kind of sports-faith parallel, but I still don't want this to sound like a bad motivational speech, either. Still, the truth is - original sin cancelled all of our playoff hopes. They were gone. There was no post-season. There was no post-life with God. But God suspended the rules for us. He gave us more that a wild-card hope - He's put the Superbowl ring on our finger already. I think that is cause for celebration.

No comments: