Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ridgecrest Music Week 2013 Day Two

This is really shaping up to be a fantastic year at Ridgecrest.  Perhaps one of the best in many years. 

We began this morning with a great breakfast.  Two institutional improvements I should mention: The outer hallway that wraps around Rhododendron Hall has been completely transformed to a beautiful sitting area similar to what you would find in Mtn. Laurel and Johnson Springs.  Second, major change in food service.  Instead of all of the serving lines offering the same thing (except for maybe a separate salad line), half of the lines will offer one major thing, like "fast food" and the other half will offer for example "Mexican". Then once you get into the main dining area, there has been bonus lines such as one today that offered Mexican desserts and for breakfast, a Belgian waffle bar.  Really cool.  

There wasn't a class offering in the first slot that really appealed to me, so I chose to spend some time on my favorite bench in the prayer garden, where I spent some times in the Psalms and in Revelation meditating.  The Lord reminded me about what true repentance looks like through some things he showed me.  


My first class was with one of my favorite children's music teachers, Darlene Abbott.  She is so very practical, and once again offered many concrete ideas, tips, and new songs for children and preschoolers that can really liven up a rehearsal.  This is Darlene's first time back at Ridgecrest since battling cancer.  she told me today that she has faced several surgeries and has one more to go with some follow up treatments.  

Worship this morning was fantastic.  Mike Harland & co. have really done well so far with providing a balance and blend of styles this year.  We began with one of the most worshipful arrangements of  "10,000 Reasons" I have ever heard.  The message this morning reminded us to be on guard against idols in our lives and used Psalm 16 to illustrate this point.  The thrust of the message dealt with what truly "satisfies" or quenches us, with the answer being of course, only God.  

I took another children's music course in the afternoon from another instructor, who I got a few good ideas from as well.  But the biggest surprise blessing was the class that followed, from Grant Norsworthy, called "Worshipper's Deathstyle."  Grant is the former bass guitarist from Sonic Food, and is from Australia.  This may have been one of the best classes I have ever experienced at Ridgecrest.  He was an engaging speaker, and dealt in a very convicting way with our attitudes and motives as worship leaders.  One of his key points was this quote from C.S.Lewis:

"Every poet and musician and artist, but for grace, is drawn away from the thing he tells about to the love of the telling 'til down in the deep hell they cannot be interested in God at all  but only in what they say about Him"

Basically, this means that many worship leaders are in constant danger of loving their craft and vocation more than God Himself.  Scary and dangerous stuff.  Looking forward to the second and third sessions.  I laughed and cried in this session.  And although I've never been a fan of the frequently covered secular song "Hallelujah," but I will never look at this song the same way again after Grant ended the session by singing his version and commenting on the history and lyrics of the song.  

This was followed by another reading session from LifeWay.  Like yesterday's mullti-publisher offering, I found a couple more potential pieces.  I may have to blog a separate list of just the pieces I've liked.  

Supper was great and the evening concert from the group "Veritas" was excellent.  They are a classical-ish men's group heavily inspired by Roger Breland's "Truth" (thus the name).  They were funny, professional, and snappily dressed.  If this gig doesn't work out, they could be great extras in the next Men in Black movie.  ;) I don't think I've seen that many black suits together in one place since my last visit to the funeral home.  But I digress....



After the concert, the Nibble Nook, and after I finish here, soon to bed.  


No comments: