Monday, July 16, 2012

Ridgecrest Music Week 2012 Day One

What a great feeling it is to come back to Ridgecrest Music Week again this year!  I am blessed to have a church that supports my participation in this each year.  We arrived on the campus this afternoon, and after settling in in Maple, where we haven't stayed for several years, I begin my time here by attending a music reading sessions that featured non-seasonal anthems from publishers OTHER than LifeWay.  Usually, this session is a mixed bag of anthems either too contemporary for our church, or too high church.  However, this time, there were several really good songs, most being "attainable" for us.  Here are links to some of my favorites for the day:

 A Camp Kirkland arrangement of "O the Blood"   http://bit.ly/MC4W5l

A Ben Fielding and Reuben Morgan praise song "Stronger"  http://bit.ly/MC58S2

Our evening feature included normal introductions, and Travis Cottrell, our worship leader for the week, led us in a few opening songs. We heard an introductory mini-message from Ken Mandrell, who outlined his messages for the week and gave a word of testimony. The feature performance for the evening was from Tommy Walker, who I probably was looking forward to the most of anyone coming into the week - and he didn't disappoint. I had never seen him live. He came onto the stage, just he and his guitar, and other than a few songs that featured track, the concert was mostly that - he and his guitar. I can say that he is one of the best acoustic guitar players I have ever seen. He even played the Hallelujah Chorus on guitar! Lots of picking and very intricate fingerwork.

It looks like a very full day tomorrow, beginning very early, so its off to bed for us.

No comments: