Monday, June 27, 2011

Ridgecrest Music Week 2011 Day One

Well, we made it to Ridgecrest safe and sound this afternoon with high expectations the Lord would give us another year of revitalization and rest through what I still believe is the best training event for church musicians anywhere.  There is one major change this year for us, the addition to Ginny in our family, which with her having never traveled for this long away from her new home, we were worried how she might handle this week.  Well, so far so good.  There were a few tears from her when she went into her daycare class, but she seems to be having a good time.

There were only three events today.  The first for me was a music reading session from LifeWay.  They showed off the newest addition in the Let's Sing family of cantatas, of which we at Southside have done three.  This one is another Christmas book. Like its predecessors, it is fantastic all the way around.  My plans for Christmas this year have so far leaned to doing more of a "greatest hits" type production using Christmas music from years past with possibly drama thrown in.  However, hearing this new musical made me very tempted to change my mind.  I also fell in love with a standalone anthem called "A Mighty Fortress," which despite the familiar title, is a totally brand new piece.

After an orientation meeting for parents for Day Care and Day Camp (Nathan is now old enough for the Day Camp, which does more outdoor and recreation type things), we had supper and concluded with opening worship, which was led Travis Cottrell, who did a great job, and introduced me to a couple of new worship songs I may jsut take a look at for future worship services.  In fact, one song, "To the King" I have already downloaded from Discover Worship with the intent of starting the choir on it in the next few months.

Here's a link to one of the songs I really liked from Travis Cottrell called "Jesus Saves."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4nqChcB_g

No comments: