Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ridgecrest Music Week 2011 Day Four

Well, today was the last full day of Ridgecrest.  As always, it was bittersweet.  The message this morning dealt with coming down from the mountain and how it's always a challenge after being on a spiritual high to come and face the challenges of everyday life.  Still, our speaker reminded us to stay strong, and as was a theme of the week for me personally:  focus on your personal calling and take joy in the fact that if God calls you, He will equip you, and in perilous times, He will give you a peace that you can't even put your mind around.  You can take solace in that, and in the fact that His return is promised.

My first small group class of the morning was a bit of a shift for me.  I decided, like I often do, to take a children/preschool choir leadership class to get refreshed on the latest trends in children's music ministry.  It may have been one of the biggest highlights of the week on a practical level for me.  We learned some new and renewed tricks and methodology that could add some variety in children's choir programs.  We discussed activities with rhythm sticks, lummy sticks, dowel rods, black lights, and boomwhackers.  We learned a few new silly songs as well.  It was informative and fun.

My other small group class of the day was with Craig Adams, a LifeWay employee, who had a very interesting session on maintaining healthy staff relationships.  I actually left very encouraged, thankful that I am very blessed to be in a staff who already work well together, which is sadly not the case in many other situations.  It was still great to get some reminders in how to assure that would continue.

The reading session today made up for the lackluster one yesterday.  There were several very good pieces, including some nice choral arrangements of some popular contemporary songs such as All of Creation, Our God, Glorious Day, and Travis Cottrell's updated version of "Just As I Am."  I also found two other anthems that I thought had some potential for possible use in an idea of a Christmas program I'm playing around with" "Emmanuel" and "Don't Be Afraid".  The first one would be a nice opener piece and the second, although very challenging in many ways, speaks a very important message that I think many folks are dealing with in today's time.

The evening feature was a concert featuring Jim Hammerly and family.  Jim apparently was formerly associated in some way with Brooklyn Tabernacle, and I'm learning that he is a heck of a keyboardist (and arranger).  His music had a very interesting jazz/gospel angle that was really unique.  I wasn't crazy about the group's vocals, but they did put a lot of heart into their presentation.  The second part of the evening featured a collegiate ensemble called "Voices of Mobile", directed by Roger Breland of Truth fame.  This group reminded me, actually of what would happen if you combined the tv show "Glee" with Breland's "Truth."  They were polished, had perfect harmonies, and impeccable stage presence.  Breland himself didn't disappoint with his periodic musings he would interject into the program.

It was another good day here, and tomorrow we head home.

No comments: