Friday, July 02, 2010

Ridgecrest Music Week Day Five

The last day of Music Week is always bittersweet.  So many "highs" up on the mountain (now that's a pun) that it's hard to come down.  Normally, the last day is actually pretty lackluster as it just involves packing up, eating breakfast, and leaving.  This year, they had a closing worship service which featured the Conference Choir, Handbell Choir, Children's Choir, and a brief message by Mike Harland.  Despite the group performances not measuring up in quality to some of the guest artists, I actually always enjoy the groups that perform made up of the conference registrants, perhaps because I know that they are "real people" like me, the soldiers in the battlefield if you will.  Mike's closing message was a good summary and tied up all of the loose ends for the week and presented the final challenge for all music leaders to go back with a spirit of humility in their leadership.  A good reminder to end with, I thought.

All in all, despite an overall decline in registration this year, I thought this one was one of the better Ridgecrests I have been to in recent years.  This year the Lord for some reason put in my path a few church musicians that had some personal hurts or issues in their lives, and it reminded me that there are some folks serving out there under some serious duress.  Pray for two in particular - the Lord knows who I'm talking about.  God also reminded me this week of the Biblical purpose of church musicians and of the seriousness of the calling.

It's good to be back home now, though, and I'm looking forward to a holiday weekend and then hitting the ground running on Tuesday with a new degree of fervor, with God's help.

1 comment:

Southern-fried Fiction said...

I miss going to Music Week! But I've been going to Ridgecrest for the Blue Ridge Mtns Christian Writers Conference for the past few years.

Only one problem - our conference is in May and the Nibble Nook isn't open. But at least Clouds is!