Monday, February 04, 2008

Dealing with Guilt



One of the things about an event like a "Souper Bowl" Party, or Homecoming, or any covered dish meal is the Baptist rationalizing that tends to go on while we overeat. It starts an internal conversation with yourself that goes something like this:

“What a spread of food! Mmmm, that smells good. Looks good too. Of course, I should stay true to my diet. I’ve been doing pretty well here lately. Yeah, I have, haven’t I? Shouldn’t I reward myself for that? – great idea! Still, this could set me back – Oh, who cares? Look at all of the fun everyone else is having!!! They are piling their plates full, and after all, this event doesn’t happen everyday!
-LATER- “Wow, that first and second plate were good, but you know I didn’t try Aunt May’s Rhubarb Pie. And you know her, she’ll ask later if I tried it, so I don’t want to make her feel bad about it. “
-LATER- “Boy, I’m stuffed, that filled me up more than it should have! My eyes were bigger than my stomach! Still, we’ve got a while to go before we leave, so I need to pass the time somehow. Maybe I’ll grab another cookie or something. Hey Marvin just brought it a new cake. Is that one of his wife’s famous pound cakes?”
-THE NEXT DAY- “Why did I do that? What was I thinking? I must have gained five pounds last night! I’m going to have to work harder now to get back in my routine, more exercise – something!!! I can tell you this I will NEVER do that again.”


That is until the next event comes around, of course. Does this sound like you? Now contrary to what you’re thinking, today’s thought is not about gluttony. It’s about temptation and guilt. In our humanness we sin. This is truth. Our guilt is the reflection of the Holy Spirit’s prompting that something in our lives is not in perfect alignment with God’s plan for our character. In the case of overeating, our bodies sometimes pay that price and the “temple of God” is ultimately affected. In the case of other sins, not dealing with guilt can lead to hard hearts. A hardened heart can lead to more rationalizing of sins and an endless cycle much like the many trips to the buffet table. If you know you have sinned, deal with it. First, with your Creator, and then with the others affected in the measure. Merely making an appearance at an altar call doesn’t erase guilt, unless it is coupled with genuine repentance and actions that back them up. And then after that, be patient. Trust is not like a Lego tower that can be quickly rebuilt.

No comments: