Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A true definition of GRACE

I found a very neat scripture today that speaks well a true definition of grace. In my latest goal of rereading the book of ROMANS, I stumbled upon chapter 4:4-5, which says:

Now to the one who works, pay is not considered as a gift, but as something owed. But to the one who does not work, but believes on Him who declares righteous the ungodly, his faith is credited for righteousness.

You know, I love receieving a salary. I''m sure you do too. Although once I receieve my check, it's usually spoken for from various providers of service: power company, mortgage company, credit card, etc. I'm sure you can relate. Even though my "job" as a minister is a little different than most, it's still nice to be able to pay the bills with "compensation for my time." However, whether you work in an uptown Charlotte skyscraper or in a factory, we can all agree that there are some weeks we feel like we DESERVE that check.

God's system is a little different.

In this passage, I really like the way Paul explains grace vs. works. We know that grace is undeserved, but freely given without expectation of repayment. If our faith was based on works: us doing something for God, heaven and salvation would be nothing more than God signing a paycheck. God does not owe us anything, as a later passage in Romans 11:35 emphasizes.

Well, I'm off to "work," not to my job for a paycheck, but my job for the KINGDOM.

No comments: